It can be both embarrassing and painful to slip and fall in a store. Often well meaning people that you are with, that work at the store, or who witnessed the accident rush to your aid and try to help you. However, before you accept their help, it is important that you take a moment to gather your thoughts, assess your immediate injuries, and think about how to proceed.
The Pennsylvania personal injury lawyers of Ostroff Injury Law recommend that you take the following steps if you are injured by a slip and fall in a store:
- Seek medical attention. If you are in immediate pain then you should seek emergency care. A simple slip and fall accident can create result in a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, broken bones or internal injuries and those should be assessed and treated as soon as possible. If you are not in immediate pain then you should consult with your primary care physician because some significant injuries may not be apparent until days or weeks following your accident.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. If you, or someone who was shopping with you, does not have a cell phone with a camera then ask another shopper to take the photos and email them to you from their phone while you wait.
- Note any conditions at the accident scene. Was there a defect in the flooring? A wet or icy floor? Poor lighting? Debris in the aisles?
- Speak to the store manager. Listen carefully to what the manager says. Did he or she apologize for the accident? Say what caused the accident? Also, ask the manager if an accident report will be completed and how you might obtain a copy.
- Take note of any witnesses to your accident and write down their names, phone numbers, and addresses.
- Call your Pennsylvania premises liability lawyer, Jon Ostroff at 800-818-8148 to discuss your accident case.
Do not let the embarrassment or immediate pain of your accident impede your recovery. Find out as much as you can about what caused your accident and seek the fair and just recovery that you deserve.